This is a marinade that my boyfriend and I made up after watching an episode of Anthony Bourdain in Jamaica. He was eating numerous different kinds of street food and when he sunk his teeth into this chicken, my mouth started watering. We were able to jot down most of the ingredients he mentioned and created our own spin on the marinade. I believe the one thing we didn’t add was a tamarind chili paste, but it doesn’t matter because this marinade is fantastic just like this. I have made this chicken every week since seeing that episode, it’s a keeper!
A few notes for the ingredients…it is imperative that you find coriander seed to use! Already ground coriander just does not have the same flavor! Also, I love to use bone-in skin-on chicken thighs, they are the easiest thing to cook (very forgiving if you cook them for too long) and have the most moisture and flavor. You could try this recipe with chicken breasts, but keep them bone-in and skin-on. Finally, I like to marinate my chicken overnight, or early in the morning for a late dinner…try to give them at least 7-8 hours in the marinade, if not more! I tried it after letting the chicken marinate for only 4 hours and it just wasn’t the same.
Marinade for 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs:
- Fresh ginger (about 3 inches), grated
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- Juice of 3 large limes
- 3 Tablespoons coriander seed, toasted until fragrant & ground
- 5 Tablespoons olive oil
- Hefty pull of salt & pepper
Time to cook…
- Preheat your oven to 400°
- Before cooking, remove chicken from the marinade and let sit on paper towels for a bit to absorb the moisture of the marinade. This will help it brown beautifully.
- Use a skillet that can transfer to the oven, cast iron is best if you have one. Preheat the skillet to high heat. Once it is heated, add a little bit of canola oil.
- Sear the chicken thighs skin side down in the skillet until they release, about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the thighs so the skin side is up and pop into a preheated 400° oven for 30-35 minutes depending on the size.
Eat this chicken crispy skin and all! You will be nibbling every last bit off the bone and licking your fingers when you’re done! Yes, there are only 3 chicken thighs in the picture, not 4 like the recipe calls for…I couldn’t control myself and ate one before taking the picture!