This is my FAVORITE salad to make. Enough said. Give it a try and see for yourself…
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup warm water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 2½-3 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
To make the Naan:
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast, sugar and warm water. Stir to dissolve then let sit for about 5 minutes until you smell yeast. Then, wisk in the oil, yogurt and egg until evenly combined.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour with the salt. Add the bowl of wet ingredients to the flour/salt mixture and stir with a spatula until well combined.
- Continue adding flour ¼ cup at a time until you can no longer stir it with your spatula (about 1 – 1½ cups later).
- Turn the ball of naan out onto a well-floured counter top. Knead the ball of dough for about 3 minutes, adding flour as necessary to keep the dough from sticking. The dough should be smooth and soft. Not sticky!
- Put the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with a kitchen towel. Let it rise until it has doubled in size (about 1 hour). After it rises, gently flatten the dough and cut it into 8 pieces. If you want perfectly round naan, shape each piece into a small ball by stretching the dough back under itself until the top is smooth and round. I like the rustic differently-shaped naan so I just left them the shape they were after cutting.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray lightly with non-stick spray. Working with one ball at a time, roll it out with a floured rolling pin until it is about ¼ inch thick.
- Place the rolled out dough onto the hot skillet and cook until the under side is golden brown and large bubbles have formed on the surface. Flip the dough and cook the other side until golden brown. Brush the finished naan with melted butter and sprinkle with parsley or any herb you like. Keep warm in a 200° oven until all naan are cooked.
Greek Salad with Freakishly Delicious Chicken:
An awesome topping to add to this salad is Greek marinated chicken. This is not optional!
- Put thin sliced chicken breasts (8-10 of them) in a zip-loc bag. Squeeze in the juice of 1 or 2 lemons. Add 1 Tablespoon dried oregano, salt and pepper. Drizzle in 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Finally, grate 3-4 garlic cloves on a mircoplane into the zip-loc. Seal the bag and squish around so all the chicken is coated. Let marinate in fridge for at least 3 hours before cooking.
- In a bowl mix together sundried tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese, thinly sliced red onions, kalamata olives, chopped parsley, a good sprinkle of dried oregano, juice of 1 lemon and a hefty drizzle of olive oil. Season also with salt & pepper if you want. Let the mixture marinate in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- While the toppings are marinating, make a salad with whatever greens you like (I did arugula and spring greens). Add sliced cucumber.
- Grill the chicken that you marinated earlier.
- Dump the salad toppings that have been marinating in the fridge onto the salad and toss everything together. The topping doubles as the salad dressing. You may want to drizzle extra olive oil or a splash of vinegar.
- Serve chicken on the salad and don’t forget the naan! Enjoy!