For anyone (besides me) with an obsession with “zing”…I have the perfect recipe for you. These Hot ‘N Sweet Pickles are super easy to make. The crunch combined with the zing and the hint of sweetness will leave you standing with the refrigerator door open, eating them one after the other until you have to force yourself to stop.
You will need:
- 6-8 small Kirby cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 6-8 green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-3 red jalapeños or 1 Poblano pepper, cut into rings
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh dill
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup rice vinegar combined with 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar and 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari (aged soy sauce)
- Layer the cucumbers, scallions, bay, chile pepper and dill in a large glass jar or storage container with a tight fitting lid.
- In a saucepan over low heat add the sugar, vinegars and soy sauce. Simmer until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the hot brine into the cucumber mixture and cover with a lid. Let marinate in the fridge and begin devouring after an hour or so.