A friend recently gave me a humongous zucchini. As you can tell from the picture, I was thrilled to have a freakishly large vegetable in my possession. After a few minutes of playing “let’s answer the huge zucchini telephone”, I was ready to cut that sucker up and make something great. Half of it went to zucchini bread and the other half I used to make zucchini fries. I had a sweet potato laying around so I made sweet potato fries also. If someone ever offers you a giant zucchini, take it and run! Run home and make these fries! And be sure to snap a picture of it first!
You will need:
- ½ of a giant zucchini or 4-5 small zucchinis
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Shake or cayenne pepper
- Black pepper
To make the fries:
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Cut the sweet potato and zucchini into thick fries. I left the skin on both. If you want to de-seed the zucchini, go ahead.
- Beat the egg in a large bowl.
- Combine the Panko, grated cheese, garlic salt, paprika, Shake and black pepper in a separate bowl.
- Dip the sweet potato and zucchini fries in the egg and then coat in the Panko mixture.
- Place the fries on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 425°, turning a couple of times throughout cooking so all sides get crispy (20-25 minutes).
I made a Sriracha ketchup dipping sauce for these. I also dip mine in mustard because as you know, I am a zing addict. Enjoy!